I have come to realize that life has nothing to do with us. Life is about the impact you have on others. The only way to do that is to teach and instill everything you have learned during this little merry-go-round ride called life onto others. It makes me think of the quote “Alas for those that never sing, But die with all their music in them” By Oliver Wendell Holmes. Think of all the lessons you have learned through your life… many from the words of others…books, movies, inspirational speakers, coaches, etc. Imagine how sad the world would be had all those things never been put out into the universe.
I would love to share with you some of the most profound lessons I have learned that have completely changed the way I live, love, and mentor!
1. From the wise Jim Carrey. “So many of us choose our paths based out of fear disguised as practicality. What we really want seems impossibly out of reach and ridiculous to expect so we never dare to ask the universe for it” We are the only ones that put limitations on ourselves. Remember, things are only scary the first time after that it’s easy!
2. From the beautiful Paula Henson “Assume the best of intent out of everyone”. This has changed the way I connect with people. I have realized we all have our own ways of doing things based on our own personal lenses in which we see and experience life. We often project our feelings about someone’s actions back onto them. If you feel hurt it’s time for a vulnerable conversation. In most situations their actions were never to intentionally hurt you. Remember it’s not what the person did…it’s how it made you feel.
3. From Steve Jobs “Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you. And you can change it, you can influence it… Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again.” HELL YES!!!! Just because this is how you’ve always done it doesn’t mean that is how it always has to be done. We can completely customize what we want our lives to look like no matter what society believes to be true. This is the foundation of Lola. It is SO MUCH MORE than a salon. It’s a temple of empowerment! I wanted to create a place where EVERYONE feels loved, valued, and beautiful.
4. From President Barack Obama “If you think education is expensive wait until you see how much ignorance costs”. I am going to take this quote out of context but it is so fitting! You don’t know what you don’t know…but when you do know you wonder how the hell you survived without those lessons. Education honestly comes in the form of an open mind. Being open to the ideas and example of others! Invest in yourself! It is a must! Cool Beauty Consulting has the greatest classes I have every experienced. They go SO FAR beyond just hair and business. They have changed my life….They have made me fearless.
5. From John Maxwell “A good leader is a person who takes a little more than his share of the blame and a little less than his share of the credit.” Remember as the leader it’s all on you. If your team isn’t performing properly it’s because they haven’t been mentored, trained, or inspired properly. If your team of performing at a high caliber level, yes it was your leadership, but it was their hard work.
I LOVE learning knew things, listening to the stories of others, and evolving. I call this combination of soaking it all in and wanting to share it with the world “Making a Prophet”. All of this information is out there…innovation is honestly taking a concept that already exists and put your own personal creative spin on it. It takes a lot of vulnerability, perseverance, and grit but you possess each and every one of those qualities. Please take these lessons and pass the on!